Saturday, October 20, 2007

The end of Eid...

So, Eid finally ends today. Everyone can go back to work and maybe we can get some things accomplished...(yeah right...it’s the middle east!) Anyway, I do have a couple observations for you.

First of all, one of our nurses, always finds this one place to park near the hospital. It is always open and it is not marked or anything. So, she parks in it every day. This week she went to her car after work and there was a note under the windshield wiper. In really bad English "You must move car. This Emir parking spot, big trouble" So, the reason no one parks in the spot is apparently it belongs to the Emir. That is assuming he ever comes to the hospital...which I have never heard him come here, plus if he gets sick I think he goes to London or the US.

Anyway, so one of the Department Heads I work with asked me out for coffee the other day. I was doing nothing in the evening, so I joined him. I thought it was just for coffee, because I made a beef stew and it was in the crock pot. (I ate on that baby for like 5 days…mmm) Anyway, when I met up with him he was wearing normal clothes. Pants, button down shirt, etc. He introduced me to his 5 kids the youngest daughter (like 4-5) he made her give me a kiss on the cheek. Anyway, his wife was in a full Abaya, Hijab, and Nicab (Full black outfit, with head covered and face covered…only the eyes were showing) She stood off to the side and did not speak to me…he also did not introduce her. That was wild. Actually during the entire dinner, he only told a story of the wedding and the process. He never actually said his wife’s name. We went upstairs for what I thought was coffee, but he ordered steak and spaghetti and made me order food as well. So I ordered and appetizer because I had food at home. About halfway through his meal, he started cutting pieces of steak and portions of spaghetti and putting them on my plate. Saying I needed to eat (kind of like that grandmother we all have had…never think you get enough food)…I had to tell him that I had to meet one of my co-workers for dinner later so he would stop trying to feed me. Anyway, I was OK with all of this and I thought we were done…nope. We sat and talked a while longer. Then he said it was time for coffee…so we ordered coffee and sat there and finished it. As we were getting ready to leave, he gave me a bag that had sweets and dates in it he brought from home. It was a gift for me. We went and found his family who were eating McD’s (still baffles me that mom takes the kid and he went with me) and I talked with the kids a couple of minutes. I told them all goodbye and they either shook my hands or gave me a hug. His wife did say ‘Have a good night” before I left and I returned the salutation. Mansour walked me to my car where he shook my hand and let me go. It turned out that I thought I might be gone an hour more or less, but I was out for about 3 hours. Needless to say, dinner was nice and hot when I got home….

So, some of you saw the news article that I sent out about the missile that was accidently shot from the American base and landed without incident at a farm in Qatar. I know, isn’t that amazing…A FARM IN QATAR? Who would have thought?
Anyway, there was some speculation about the time of launch. There were conflicting reports and we finally got to the bottom of it. However, our initial reports and timings led us to believe that the US was shooting at the new EMS helicopter. The helicopter was down near the US base when it was supposedly fired, however that was not the case. It was actually fired earlier in the night. Reason #347 I am not getting on that chopper.
Oh, and in related story, those that know me really well will love this. So they have been flying this chopper now for weeks doing training and it flies everyday from the airport to the helipad at the hospital. So the mechanic came to drop off some pictures and being the good mechanic he was decided to check a few things on the bird before leaving. As he opened the engine cowling there was a swarm of bees inside that would rival most honey producers. They were not aggressive, but they were there. So they decided to start up the chopper and get them to go away. They started the bird and ran it at full power for about 3 minutes. The bees swarmed off and were buzzing in a swam a few hundred feet away. As soon as the chopper turned off…they came right back and moved in. They could do nothing to get them away, I guess the queen was comfy in her spot. So they had to fly the thing back to the airport (which the bees followed) and they had to spray them with engine cleaner to slow them down. They then had to vacuum them all up to get rid of them…how crazy is that? I should have pictures tomorrow.

So yesterday I was shopping for the family…since they are coming I figured they should have a bed and stuff…plus I have allocated money left over I have to use. I stopped at Starbucks because I got a coupon for a free drink at the hospital. I sat down at one of the big comfy chairs that had another one right across from it. The place was just about empty…just me and another table or 2. However, this Qatari came and sat down right with me then asked if it was OK. I don’t mind…it was just unique how they will do, say, and get whatever they want. So, he sat across from me and talked on his cell phone and I just sat and looked out the window. Ahh…the Arab culture.

It was also wild to see true nannies in action. This couple had 2-3 kids and were sitting near me at the mall. (I ate dinner there…it was late and I didn’t want to have to cook) This family had 2 Filipino Nannies. The mom and dad sat down and the kids ran around. The 2 nannies went and got everyone’s food. They brought it back and mom and dad ate. They didn’t even attempt to help deal with the kids. The nannies fed the kids and tended to all of their needs. As soon as dinner was over, the mom and dad picked the kids up and started walking down the mall. The nannies had little if any time to eat…they cleaned up after the family. Got all of their bags. Then tried to catch up…it was amazing to see how disconnected and dependent these families are on hired help.

I have some more… but I am tired of typing…plus IT’S GAMEDAY! Enjoy!

No comments: