Saturday, December 29, 2007

It's beginning to look a lot like...Summer?

Christmas in the Middle East? It's not cold. Everyone is Islamic. It's their Eid Holiday. Didn't really feel like Christmas. At least there is a LARGE ex-pat community that has parties and such and tries to make it feel like home. All of my staff called or wrote to wish me a Merry Christmas, so that was very nice especially since 98% of them are Muslim. Here is a very short summary:

Christmas Eve:

Went to work. Since it was Eid no one was around. Since it was Christmas Eve, even less Ex-Pats were. Had a full day of paperwork, cleaning out old files, prepping some upcoming classes. Actually the day went pretty quick. That evening, I headed to Connie's and Jacque's for Christmas Eve Dinner. In addition to them it was Myself, Kevin, Kevin's Mom, John, Richard, and Carol. I brought the Nog which was attacked quickly. Jacque is a VERY good cook. They started this tradition years ago, but they have Spanish Tapas on Christmas Eve. It was very cool. Small plates, a wide variety of food from meatballs, mushrooms, shrimp, etc. It was so good. After food and socializing, we headed home about 10:00ish.

Christmas:

Once again it was a work day. Now you guys in the states will probably complain...Why was I working on a day that I could have taken off. (We get US holidays) Well the easiest way to put it is this.
1) This is like being on a Military Deployment. If you are not actually going to leave or go out and do something, you might as well go to work. It makes the day go faster and gives you something to do.
2) Economics. If I work a normal day, I accrue Vacation time of about .1 FTE per workday (or something like that). If I work a holiday, I accrue Vacation time of 1.0 FTE per workday. So, by working Christmas eve I get to take say 2 hours off sometime in the future (like when I come home), by working Christmas I get to take 8 hours off sometime in the future. See how that works?
Since I am here anyway, I might as well work. Plus, Vacation time I do not use I get to cash in. That is something I would like to do at this rate!
So after work, we had a 'Pittsburgh" party. Our project director had a huge buffet at her house and everyone was invited. We drank, had turkey and all the trimmings. I of course brought egg nog. Our Filipino secretaries once again brought the Karaoke machine, so we sang late into the night. We also had a Yankee gift swap. This is where everyone brings a present, then you draw numbers, and open presents. You also have the option of taking someone else's present instead of opening your own. Anyway, this is was a very fun part of the evening and I think everyone had a good time. It was a good Christmas Party.

26th:

So after a long night on the 25th, I was planning on having a quiet night at home. That was all well and good until about 7:30ish. Mitch's kids were in town and they are all College Age. He has 3 and one brought a friend. I told them that if they wanted to get out of the house sometime during the visit to just stop by and we could have a few beers or something. Well, the 4 of them showed up and stayed until about 10:30. I had to be up early the next day, so I had to kick them out. It was fun, even though one of them was going to Pitt.

27th:

I got up super early to assist with training at our hospital in the north. It is about 30 miles north of here and I had to be there at 6:30. I went up and assisted our nursing staff with class and then headed back to deal with our ever present radio issues. Somehow, I was not tired so I didn't take a nap that afternoon, even though I got up early. John and I headed to our now weekly Thursday night poker game and had a blast. There was 15 people in and John and I both ended up in the money. I came in 4th and John 2nd. Last time I was just under the money line, so this was nice. It was a great time, and since they play 8 minute blinds, the game goes quick.
I was home early and in bed.

28th:

Since I got up so Early the day before. I decided to do the same thing on Friday (our day off). I have been wanting to do this for a while, just to say I did and it was pretty cool. I got up early and went to the waterfront. I got to watch the sunrise over the Persian gulf. It was a cool experience and one that not many from our parts get to experience. It was something different and not really something I would normally do. Probably won't do it again soon...

Today, I slept in like crazy. 4 straight days of late nights and/or early mornings took its toll on me. Today is going to be a lay around day, laundry day, get back into workout day, (I have miss 3 days and I am going crazy!) etc. Talk to you later!

1 comment:

Aiken4Motown said...

Did you give the Pitt guy some advice? That is the job of any good alum.