Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Performance Issues?

Hello again. I know it has been a while, but somehow it got crazy busy. I bulled my way through the EMS policies and got them approved. They have been sitting on the desk of the approval department since June, and we needed them. So I went in, had a few meetings and got all but one approved.

Then, the Director of EMS over here (who I basically consult for) wanted to teach these supervisors Performance Management. I agreed and was designing a class for them. Well, she wanted it done before the Eid holiday which starts Dec. 17 (it doesn't relate to Christmas, just happened to fall on it this year. So her and I went and met with the director of Performance Management. We decided that we would teach 2 day long classes to all of my supervisors and department heads Dec. 5 and Dec 6. (We just scheduled this last week) So, they usually team teach it and she was going to do the Lecture part of it, and I was doing to do the group work and exercise part of it. She called me on Monday and due to some corporate problems, she could not teach this Wednesday and Thursday. She asked if she could give me the entire lecture and I present it. So, I agreed. This brought out 2 things. One...I cannot believe that the hospital would allow me to teach a corporate class that I have never taken to a group of supervisors. 2nd...holy crap...I have one day to review slides and get my talking points straight. I hate reading from a powerpoint, I like when I teach to know my slides and know what is coming so I do not have to refer, but today was a little different. I had to make passes by the podium to see what was coming and to see if I was getting all the stuff they wanted covered. Needless to say, it was a headache and difficult to get organized, but I did it and I think the guys liked it. I have been told by numerous sources that I have a lot of credibility with these guys, so I hope to keep that up.

Other than that, not too much else to do since the 'rents left town. I don't want to talk about it...but I am glad that the WVU program is at a point where we are disappointed when we don't go to the National Championship Game. A BCS bowl is crap (yeah right!). It is nice that our program is at that level. My last point...no one in the country this year has stopped us. We have no one to blame but us.

On that note:
TARA NA MAMUMUNDOK - This is Tagalog (Filipino) for Let's Go Mountaineers...I love working with such a diverse staff.

Short Update: Since I have been in Doha I have been able to really read much more than I get to at home. Here is my list for the first 5 months: (In no order)

Qatar-Business Traveller's Handbook - David Chaddock
Ghost Soldiers - Hampton Sides
Islam for Dummies - Malcolm Clark
Living and Working in the Gulf States and Saudi Arabia - Bob Hughes and Graeme Chesters
Don't they know it's Friday? - Jeremy Williams
First, Break All the Rules - Marcus Buckingham, Curt Coffman
Who moved my cheese? - Spencer Johnson
The Qatar Edge - Joey Osslan
Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
Leadership - Rudy Giuliani
All the President's Spin - Ben Fritz, Bryan Keefer, Brendan Nyhan
Paramedic to the Prince - Patrick Notesine
Tales from the West Virginia Sideline - Don Nehlen
Digital Fortress - Dan Brown

Thats all for now...I will talk to you later! Cheers!

No comments: