Friday, July 6, 2007

Friday, July 6

So yesterday was the end of our workweek. It's Sunday-Thursday here. I went in and spent from about 8:00 till about 1:00 at EMS, then the jet lag finally got to me and I had to head back to the hotel. My boss told me that these first few weeks that if I started to fade to head home, because I might say or do something that will be hard to recover from, especially working with a totally new staff that has memories like steel traps. While at EMS, I spoke with the Director and the Assistant Director. I think they are both great people and should be easy to work with, but like any job, we will see where that goes over the next month or so. I got a tour of the station, and met some of the supervisors. They have a nice, big station complete with Mosque! After talking in depth with the Director and Asst. Director, I went down and met with the supervisors that were currently on duty. They seemed nice, but it is going to take some time for all of us to get used to each other's english. They started bringing up some issues they think that are problems and I had to cut them off. I told them that we will work on that kind of thing in the weeks to come, I just wanted to find out about them.

After work, I went back to the hotel and got a quick nap in. That helped immesely. I woke up and headed to the Gym. I got my Cardio day in, so friday will be cardio AND weights. After dinner, the Nurse, Doctor, and I (all staying in the ritz) headed to the US Embassy for a party hosted by the Marines. They have a detachment at the Embassy called the Marine Security Guard Detachment. They have a nice building beside the embassy, but still within the walls of the embassy area. They had a bar, pool table, foosball, a DJ, food, plus a good amount of service people and ex-pats. The military guys that I met were all pretty cool, and I guess with my haircut many of them asked what detachment I was with. HAHA. We met 3 other people from UPMC there and hung out until about 12-12:15 and had a car from the Ritz to pick us up. Came home and headed to bed. I was going to get up for Breakfast, but I woke up and laid in bed for a few more minutes, which means that I fell right back to sleep and missed breakfast. So, after I did wake up, being the cheap person I am, I waited until 12 since that is when we get free lunch.

Today is going to be pretty lazy for me, this is there holy day and nothing really happens until after 4. I was told to avoid the Mall and other shopping venues this evening, because they are usually packed. So tomorrow I will probably head out and get a few items I need. I will probably head to the Gym and them spend some time reading and hanging out. Maybe head to the complimentary bar later in the evening. Not sure yet. We will see....

Talk to you later!

Peace in Qatar!

2 comments:

DParker said...

Hi Michael!
You're making all of us very proud! Take care and enjoy this wonderful opportunity. Your Mom is doing really well. You know her...always a smile on her face. Keep writing. We enjoy reading about your new adventure.
Deb and GP Parker

Jeff said...

CPAPs rule, I've had mine about 10 years. Made all the difference in the world. I actually feel rested when I get up now. If it's made a fraction of the improvement in your life as it did mine, then, you should be up to any task. I've been talking them up to your dad, I think he's about ready to cave in & do it.

I know you can figure out what needs to be done over there. I also know you are the person for the job.

Just try to have a little fun with it. That always makes the job a bit easier.

Later,
Jeff