Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Getting boring...

So, I know it is probably going to get boring for a while as I am getting settled in and trying to figure out things. The senior supervisor left today for vacation, so now I am going to shift my focus to the shift supervisors and the department heads. I have spent way too much time in meetings over the last 2 days with the EMS management team here wanting me to help them with strategic planning and budgeting. I told them I would assist (and I will) but it is their system and they need to figure out where to go and how to get there. I can be there to bounce ideas off of and assist, but I should not be intimately involved in the process. They are really excited about having some educated and motivated people around, as there is a guy from the UK that is interviewing for the Assistant Director of Support Services position...and I had to sit in on the initial interview. We were both invited to the strategic planning meeting today (where they had turkey central..more later) and it seemed that they wanted us to really figure out their problems. The UK guy was really vocal and assisted them somewhat. I kinda stayed back, as I do not work for them, I work for UPMC...and I am trying to keep that distinction.

Turkey central, apparently is the Yann's / Soup Nazi of Qatar. I was told that you would never go there unless someone took you or you were really adventurous. The walls are pink with purple curtains, kinda dark, etc. They do alot of takeout. You order speciality plates by the kg and they make it with different kinds of meat, vegetables, and sides. They also include some awesome bread that you use to pick the meat off of the tray with. It was awesome. Its not Yann, but it works...

So, I was helping each section with their SWOT analysis and one of the supervisors brought me his to look over. In the paper, it said unrespect of policies and procedures as a weakness. I told him that unrespect was not a word. He laughed and said that he thought it sounded wrong, but his English teacher told him that in the English language anything can be reversed by putting 'un' in front of it...haha

So, had a MAJOR issue on 23 last night. They were bringing me my Jack and Diet 7up last night (long story) and one of the last ones I got tasted like ass. The waitress handed it too me and then went to hide behind the bar. I took a drink and looked for her and she popped up and put her hands up. She came over and told me that they were out of Jack Daniels. Then she said "Mr. Forest, I called every bar in the hotel and no one has any Jack...so I gave you Jim Beam..we will have more for you tomorrow" I MADE THE RITZ CARLETON, DOHA RUN OUT OF LIQUOR...how many people can say that. (They did have it back tonight!) One of the Indonesian bartenders asked me if we all (the whole UPMC crew) drank like this all the time...and we told him we don't...but we are at the RITZ and it's free! He and all of us laughed...

I will talk to you soon...

2 comments:

dad said...

hi son, ilove your blog. you write very well. we would never have run out of jd at sugar camp. dad

~L~ said...

The fact that they ran out of JD sucks (if I could ship it to you, then I would, but I think it is illegal), but the fact that you found an alternate Yann is great! I hope your boredom fades soon. Stay safe. Peace is Qatar.