Friday, August 31, 2007

Another week in the middle east

So, service over here sucks. I will give you a small hint of that. So, they requested my phone be installed in my villa about 4-5 weeks ago. Since you cannot get a phone without a residence permit, they ordered mine under a co-worker's name. I called everyday trying to see when my appointment was set up, to no avail. A little over 2 weeks ago, I got my residence permit...so I went to the phone company cancelled my co worker's request and put my own in. (That will actually help out when it comes to bill time.) So, that evening I was called about an installation date and time. Awesome. Except that it was for Aug. 30, 2 weeks away. So I have been doing what I can to get everything else ready, its just a matter of moving in and saying...crap! I forgot a can opener! (I didn't forget that, thanks to a good friend) Anyway, the guy showed up yesterday and played with my phone for about 10 minutes, he went out to the main junction box and came back. Told me that there was a problem outside and that hopefully someone would be by to fix it Saturday...just to make sure I answer my cell phone on Sat.
The major problem with this is that Q-tel, in it's infinite wisdom, will only set up one thing at a time. You have to order phone service, get it installed, and after they come and set up your phone...you have to order Internet, they have to come back...blah, blah, blah.... So it will be another week or so past Saturday before I get my Internet installed. Bastards.
(Switch cameras...Carrie will Laugh)
In other news, my satellite got installed this morning as well. So now I have a decent amount of channels to watch. I am going to go through and block out the ones that are in Arabic. That will make my channel surfing much easier.

Well, in work news, my medical director who I have actually been talking with and in correspondence with since May arrived yesterday. I have not met him yet, but I am anxious to as he has been very helpful so far. We have actually worked jointly on some reports and presentations and have never met. The technological age is amazing.

Oh...and we have made some progress at work. I have some of the supervisors documenting the actions and positive and negative outcomes of some of their site visits. One of the supervisors even took his own time to update/create a new spot inspection form. How awesome is that? It has all the information you would want on the form, including date, time, location, positive or negative comments area, actions, etc. It even has a place for BOTH crew members to sign as well as the supervisor. It is very exciting to get them off their feet and get them running.

I told you about the staff (dis)satisfaction survey a few posts ago...but in expanding that idea I have created a EMS Workgroup. I have pulled field level staff from all walks of life to join a committee to discuss issues facing the department. We are going to meet once a month and talk about anything and everything. I am going to try and have one topic a day to actually talk about along with an agenda, but the more they talk the more issues we get out. They feel very comfortable around me and I hope that continues. I have pulled an Emergency EMT, Paramedic, and Paramedic II, Communications Officer, Communications Supervisor, Field Supervisor, Mechanic, Quality Staff, Store Staff, Aeromedical, Transport EMT, and office staff. I have asked that the department heads nominate someone to do this that is open and will discuss issues. I think this will be a good thing.

The last thing, I finally went to the Distribution company here in Qatar. Not a bad selection for a dry country. Anyway, I have been warned by numerous people to get as much as you can now, as Ramadan everything shuts down. No liquor is sold anywhere in the country. So, going on the philosophy of "It is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" I did a pretty good first pass at the store. Good thing they have buggies. I am going to go back soon and get a few things I missed. Some of it seems excessive, but there is alot of 'parties' during Ramadan and people hang out together alot, so if anything happens in our neighborhood or people stop by I want to have a little selection. Also, I am going to be here another 10 months, so what we don't drink in Sept and Oct, I am sure we will get rid of soon. Heck Mom, Dad, and Sis are coming...so I will probably be back once Ramadan is over!

I will talk to you later...
Cheers

No comments: