Sunday, August 19, 2007

Hot as Hell!



So...the middle east is freaking hot. I know you in the states are having a 'heat wave'...blah, blah, blah. It is very easy to see why so many people leave this country in July and August (the middle east for that matter). I hear that starting in September, the traffic is bad for a few weeks until everyone gets back and settled in (ahhh...just like the students). Anyway, other than work not much has been going on. We did have another party, but I will get to that in a bit.


I really have more respect for educators when you have to walk in their shoes. I am in the process of designing a course from scratch, and its a pain. I want to develop a good course, plus I want them to be able to take what we learn from it and be able to offer it every year. So I have to walk a fine line. Add in there that English is most of these people's second language, the cultural issues of many different countries, plus being in a Muslim state of mind...it is very difficult. However, I do like the challenge. I will gain so much when I get this completed. Then, at my next job, I will make SURE they hire an educator.


I have been working on the villa. I spend a few hours a couple of days each week over there, cleaning, putting stuff away, organizing (me...really?), etc. I did my room painted yellow to go over the pink that was in there, I thought I picked a more light shade of yellow...but it is in your face yellow. So, of course I had to get Navy Blue curtains. I think it looks awesome...however I get a lot of "Wow, that's yellow...." When I show it off to friends and co-workers. I don't care. I think it rocks. I did get curtains in the whole place. Navy blue in 3 rooms, Green in 2, and Red in the other, plus I put blinds up in the kitchen. I was only going to get window length curtains, but others that got floor length talked me into doing the same thing. I am glad they did because in a total concrete building, you need all the sound dampening you can get. I will include pictures as soon as I get moved in and get some more stuff on the walls. I did go buy a 32" flat screen TV along with a surround sound system that kicks ass. It was about $2000 for both, but Pittsburgh is paying for it and I have to use the money or give it back. They should have thought about that before giving so much money to someone that only needs to furnish a couple of rooms. Plus, whoever moves in after me will love me!


This past weekend we had another party, this time however it was at our place. Le Majestic Gardens. I did not get many pictures, so I will include what I have. If I get some more sent to me, I will put them on here as well. It was again a pot luck affair, we had karaoke, a singer, and plenty of beverages. My ETOH connection (I can't buy it until I get my liquor card) went to the store. Jack Daniels was on sale so she got me 2 bottles instead of 1...I loved her at beginning of the party and hated her on Friday. Actually, the entire Pittsburgh staff was not heard from Friday. I think with the heat plus the large amounts of drinking...everyone was just so dehydrated...it kicked all of our asses. Once again, it was a good time.


One last thing...I think I told everyone that I am now a Qatari resident with a residency card...now I get to one up that even more. I now have in my possession a Qatari driver's license. So, now I get to join the madness on the roads. I am probably going to get a car this week as sharing a driver and dealing with his schedule and everyone else's schedule gets old. Actually, you know I might be getting a little tired of the Ritz. Camped in the same room, same food every 7 days, kinda out here in no where, etc. I am sure I will miss it when I am gone, but every once in a while it is nice to have some more rooms than just one. Well, I guess drinks are free on 23...so wait, I LOVE THE RITZ. Just kidding. It has been a great experience. Who else can tell everyone that they lived someplace like this for 2 months?


Anyway, I digress. Here is some pictures from the party.



We were having some issues with everyone looking at the right camera.

In the back its Nurse Carol, April (A guy's name in Indonesia) from 23, Nurse Bruce, Some random person I have never met. I think she or her boyfriend work at the Ritz as well...

Beside me is Levy from the Philippines, and Robert from Indonesia. Both of them work on 23.

Carol, me, Rachel (From Mauritius), and Loid (Ethiopia)

Both of them work at the Ritz. Rachel in Guest Relations and Loid at the Pool and 23.

As you can tell, we think the staff from the Ritz enjoy hanging out with the Pittsburgh crowd. They now call us when they go out and vice versa. I think they will gladly come to more Pittsburgh parties.

So, that is all I have, but when I get the others sent to me I will add more. I will talk to you later! Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK Forest. You can call this work if you want to but some folks call it vacation. How will you ever re-adjust to the western world?
As for teaching, welcome to the "easy, lazy, soft" world of teaching and training. You will learn that there are lots of resources on the net and among your friends to help prevent your reinvention of the wheel. However, delivery is all yours, man. Then you will see how good you are.
I'm here if I can help, however, it is REALLY good you are learning this way. We all started at ground zero.
Parsons
PS - Let's hear it for cultural experiences outside mo'town.